Monday, April 28, 2008

Morning Coffee

In my house there's been an ongoing discussion about the differences between Mozilla Foxfire and Internet Explorer. My teenagers like Foxfire better, I've always prefered IE. My children have never been able to give me a good enough reason to switch and I've always chalked it up to generational differences, but the other day I stumbled on a Foxfire add-on that made me a believer. It's called Morning Coffee and I highly recommend it to anyone who uses various websites throughout their day. This will allow you to open an array of websites with just one click of an icon. They will display in tabs on the browser page, Windows Vista style, and you simply toggle back and forth to whatever page you want.

Here's how to set it up:

If you don't already have it, download Mozilla Foxfire from the internet (this is free). If you are using Mozilla make sure you have the latest version. Next, go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2677 and add Morning Coffee to Foxfire. After re-starting Foxfire you will see a coffee mug icon at the top of the page. Now, open up any website that you use frequently throughout your day, then click the down arrow beside the coffee icon and add the website to your Morning Coffee. It will give you options of frequency; pick the one that suits your needs. Do this for each website you want to have readily available. Now, click on the mug and all of your websites will be listed on tabs and you are ready to go.

I use this at work and have loaded my library's website, our reference wiki, my Meebo account, Dogpile search engine, and the weather. At home I have Dogpile, the weather, my bank account, and my kid's school website. Just like your real cup of coffee in the morning, this gets you started off right.

By the way, don't forget to add this blog!

No comments: