Thursday, April 24, 2008

Who is the accidental techist?

I am the accidental techist.

Let me explain...I was hired into my current postition as Reference Librarian due, in part, to my willingness to experiment with technology. Please understand, I have no background in technology, no natural aptitude for it, and like many of you I am sure, a printer malfunciton can find me under my desk near tears. But for some reason the director had faith in me, something I have been trying for six months now not to lose. Recently I have been going to various technology centered workshops and have noticed that there are many, many librarians out there like me. We survive by a combination of faking it, sheer luck, and believing in ourselves.

If you are an IT person then this blog is not for you. Unless you need some entertainment. In that case follow along, but try not to fall out of your chair laughing. If you care to help, please do so. However, my goal is for all of the non-techie librarians out there to come together in this place to share success stories, commiserate, help each other, amuse each other, and support each other. Let's share our knowledge and our ideas. In our own language. I promise not to use any words that will make your head spin or your eyes cross. And you can trust me, because I don't know those words!

Am I the best person to administer this blog? Probably not. But going along with my naive willingness to experiment with technology that got me to this place, and what I see as a need for someone to step up and throw themselves out there at risk of embarrassment, here I am.

2 comments:

Elaine W. said...

Like Denise, I am a totally accidental techist who began in the 1980's-- realizing that if you get over your fear of technology, machines, and making mistakes, you can go very far in the library world.

Often, just a calm manner and encouragement is all that is needed to support a colleague when the plug has fallen out of the back of the CPU. My advice is take as many tech workshops as you can.

Anonymous said...

"We survive by a combination of faking it, sheer luck, and believing in ourselves."

Isn't that how we get through our lives? Wise words from a brave person.


Rose