Thursday, April 30, 2009

I know, I know, it's been a long time. I won't even bother to say that I'll try to post more frequently.

Jumping right in....here's what's on my mind. Most librarians I know are doing a great job helping patrons find the materials they need. Lately I've been thinking about teenagers and their horrible lack of Internet searching skills and what librarians can do to help this. If even half of our interactions with these kids can include a quick instruction on Google searching, database searching, heck, even letting them know that databases are available, then we would - slowly - make a difference. It's too easy to spoon-feed these patrons. It takes a lot less time to do it ourselves, but in the long run, it will make our jobs easier and more rewarding if we teach these skills.

No comments: